Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fast Forward- India

Shiva Statue in Rishikesh.


Monkey, deep in thought.


Anya and I started out in Delhi and went quickly to Rishikesh. We cruised with a big crew who I'm excited to travel to Goa with. We checked out the Beatles Ashram, which we concluded had a strange and creepy vibe to it. It's been abandoned and has a haunted feeling. We road motorbikes and watched Colin bungee jump outside of Rishikesh. Before all this we blessed ourselves in the rivers of the Ganges. We had some good times in Rishikesh from where Anya and I departed to McLeod Ganj from.

On the way to McLeod Ganj.

The view after a hike up a mountain.

The View from McLeod Ganj.

McLeod Ganj

Rock slab house

As we sat on the bus we saw the great Himalayas rise above us. McLeod Ganj was quite cold and we were grateful for all the warm clothing we had lugged with us since Thailand. We made new friends and learned about Kashmiri culture from two guys, Musa and Asheek that moved to McLeod Ganj from Kashmir. I hadn't realized the love that Indians had for each other until meeting these guys. They lived together sharing one bed and were completely happy with their situation. They cooked for us and we shared stories from home with one another. Sadly Anya and I left abruptly which means I may never see these guys again. So is life while traveling

Man with his whip.

Anya with the Paparazzi

The Golden Temple

Anya and I moved on to Amritsar where the Golden Temple is housed. The Sikh religion started in Amritsar and its holiest temple is the magnificent Golden Temple. Anya and I were amazed by this temple but also by the less well known Hindu temple that had caves and completely mirrored rooms. It was fantastic.

Relaxing with a beer.

Jodhpur the blue city.

Anya is happy with her Hena

Smilin' Camel

Me with the Mr. Desert

The Phantom from Octopussy, which belonged to the Maharaja.

From Amritsar we moved on to Rajasthan. Here we went to Jaisalmer where we went camel trekking, Johdpur where we explored the Blue City and the Fort, and Udaipur where we saw relics of the James Bond movie Octopussy. Now that I'm completely caught up I can begin to document my trip without a worry of telling the past. Now I can live in the present, instead of the past.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bert, Alonzo again, I'm typing for Rita. Your MOM laid out a Birthday spread for her and we are all feeling good. Rita is praying for your safe return, when that happens and where ever that may be. Many candles are also being lit for the same reason. She says, Be Safe too.

    ReplyDelete